This is a vegan macadamia pesto that may be enjoyed with grilled vegetables, as a pasta sauce or as a tasty layer inside a healthy lasagna or in a vegetable stack. You can make an excellent appetizer by rolling it-up inside grilled zucchini.
- 4 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of spinach leaves
- 1 cup of basil leaves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly toast macadamia nuts.
- Add all the ingredients except the zucchini into a food processor and process well. You may need to push the mixture down the sides and process further.
- Thinly slice zucchini length-ways and lightly brush with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill zucchini on a grill or bake in the oven at 400F/200C until soft. Cool slightly.
- Spread pesto along the cooked zucchini and roll up and put a tooth pick in to hold it closed.