Introducing the best vegan potato salad. It is not full of mayonnaise. It is not full of eggs or butter. A beautiful and hearty side dish, this picnic-friendly potato salad will please everyone. There’s no weird vegan mayonnaise in this recipe either. The creaminess comes from a walnut cream, made by combining walnuts and almond milk. I used Silk Protein + Fiber almond milk, giving an added protein boost.
- 1-1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 pounds (6-8 medium) white potatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 3 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp brown dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sweet relish
- 1 Tbsp fresh diced chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F/218 C.
- Soak the walnuts in a container with water at room temperature for 4 hours. Then, drain the water.
- Add the almond milk and use an immersion stick blender (a regular blender will also work) to puree the walnuts. Set aside.
- Remove stem and seeds from bell pepper. Slice into big strips, then lay flat on a lined cookie sheet, with the outside skin of the pepper facing down. Roast for 20 minutes in pre-heated oven or until softened and lightly browned. Let cool, then, dice and set aside.
- Chop potatoes into 3/4 inch cubes.
- In a large stockpot, boil water (2/3rds full). When boiling, add potatoes. Let cook for 20 – 25 minutes. Potatoes should be soft enough to press with a fork, but not mushy.
- Drain potatoes. In a large mixing bowl, combine walnut cream with all ingredients except the potatoes.
- Once thoroughly mixed, add in the potatoes and stir.
- Cool in fridge for 1 – 2 hours before serving.