Lentils are a super energizer packed with protein and fiber. Turmeric is a root that can also be consumed as a dried spice. Combining black pepper with turmeric helps make these compounds up to 1000 times more bioavailable or absorb-able. So enjoy some food synergy with this hearty yet healthy meal.
- 1 bag 16oz green lentils
- 6 cups L water
- 32 oz L vegetable broth
- 1 package/12-16 oz mushrooms
- 1 box/15 oz baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice (dry) plus 4 cups/1 L water
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup kale
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Rinse lentils
- Cook rice on stove or in rice cooker. Add 2 cups rice and 1 tsp ground turmeric and a pinch of salt and black pepper to 4 cups water.
- Finely chop kale, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, shallots and cashews. set aside kale and cashews for garnish.
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms sauteing for approximately 6-8 minutes
- Add lentils, broth, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne and remaining turmeric .
- Simmer for 40-50 minutes until lentils are tender, adding water as needed to maintain desired thickness
- Serve over rice and garnish with kale and cashews.