This is a super simple but timeless cold pea soup recipe. A great choice for those hot summer days.
- 1 pound peas in the shell, snow peas or sugar snap peas (frozen are acceptable)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a saucepan, combine peas and stock, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until peas are bright green and tender, 10 minutes or so. Cool a few minutes.
- If you are using regular peas, remove some from their shells for garnish. (Refrigerate those until serving.)
- Pour the cooked peas into a blender, and carefully blend them until they are puréed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and force through a fairly fine strainer, discarding solids.
- Refrigerate until cool; serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream and the parsley.